Pages

Monday, September 27, 2010

Flaming Fall Chicken!

Often when men grill out they do it with vigor and confidence.  "Where's the grill?"  Give me fire!  Huggg-Uggg.  Flip the meat, flip it! flip it! flip it!  This is all wrong of course, your meat should only be flipped once and only once.  The more you flip the meat the more juice/flavor comes out.  And never cut the meat on the grill to see if it's done as this enables the juice to flow (bad idea.)  Chicken 11 minutes a side.  Beef for Medium Rare: 4 minutes a side.   
It was a gorgeous Carolina day, and when City Belle and I come to North Carolina we jump at the opportunity to grill out.
Blue Skies callin' our name.
Our Grill gettin' ready for the slaughter!

Traditionally women are known for their great cooking.  I know my Mommaw made the best apple pie you've ever put in your mouth, and I'm sure your mother is a great cook as well.  But grilling is predominately male oriented.  Women in the kitchen men on the grill. Unfortunately it's a simple narrow-minded concept that often holds true.  Well, I'm here to tell you that the world's best chefs are men. You name a famous chef  and I bet it's a man.  Bobby Flay?  Guy Fetti?  Wolfgang Puck? Scott Conant?  The list is endless but the traditional outlook remains the same.  Women can cook and men clean the dishes after sitting on the couch.  lol
Anyway, Country Boy here has implemented northern-palate knowledge w/ Southern grilling.  I took some chicken today and marinated it for City Belle in a lemon vinaigrette w/ fresh cracked pepper, kosher salt and evoo for about 2 hours outside of the refrigerator.  Allow the meat to be room temperature before putting it on the grill.  Cold meat doesn't grill well.  




Prior to this I topped the chicken with lemon zest,  finely chopped garlic, paprika, chives, and lemon juice.  Chicken is bland so sometimes throwing the "kitchen sink" at it isn't a bad idea.   I splice the chicken breast down the center to ensure a more thorough seasoning throughout the entire breast.  I find thicker pieces are more bland while thinner pieces take less time to cook and are more flavorful.   Use salt and pepper liberally while seasoning.
Next I took locally-grown fingerling potatoes, diced them in half and topped them with oregano, lemon-butter, kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper, basil, and paprika.  I drizzled a little evoo on top and baked them at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.  I put them in while I grilled out basically.  Set it and forget it!!
It ain't fancy but it gets the job done y'all. 
Always allow the coal to turn entirely white before putting on your meat
I put tin foil down on top of our grill b/c gas tastes bad.
FIRE!
Almost ready to "flip" but just once!
It turned out great and City Belle was pleased.

until next time,

~Country Boy





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...